Job Description: The Program Officer for Impunity, under the supervision of the Senior Program Officer for Impunity and Grave Human Rights Violations, will support DPLF’s work focused on the fight against impunity in Latin America.
About DPLF: DPLF is a regional, nonprofit and nongovernmental organization based in Washington, DC, comprised of a multi-national group of professionals. Its mandate is to promote human rights and the rule of law in Latin America through analysis and recommendations, cooperation with public and private organizations and institutions, the sharing of experiences, and advocacy. Our vision is a Latin America in which civil society, using national and international legal instruments, participates fully in the consolidation of the rule of law and respect for human rights, and in which judicial institutions are independent, transparent, accessible, and able to fulfill their role in strengthening democracy.
PROGRAM ACTIVITIES (60%)
• Maintain working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field in program countries and in the region.
• Carry out and coordinate ongoing research and political analyses for selected countries.
• In coordination with DPLF’s El Salvador Country Team, carry out required program and project activities.
• Vet, coordinate and supervise research:
- Identify and select researchers in coordination with Sr. Program Officer
- Draft or review Scope of Work / Terms of Reference agreements
- Stay in touch with all researchers involved, anticipate and answer queries, and discuss progress
- Discuss (preliminary) results of investigations and review research
- Resolve any issues in the production process
- Assist in making necessary contacts to execute investigations
• Plan trips, meeting objectives and agendas.
• Vet and oversee project consultants, ensuring work meets DPLF standards and is on time.
• Coordinate work and maintain relationships with our local partners in Latin America.
• Plan, organize, and carry out seminars, conferences, and workshops in Latin America.
• Participate actively in events (organized by DPLF and other organizations) related to Impunity and Transitional Justice subject areas.
• Draft letters to authorities of program countries.
• Communicate and coordinate with other organizations.
• Work with the Communications Officer to keep the program area website up to date.
• Develop and coordinate content for AportesDPLF (institutional magazine) when the topic is related to Impunity or Transitional Justice.
• Review program and project publications.
• Coordinate with Communications Officer on program publications including communication with DPLF’s contracted editor, translator, graphic designer and printing press for obtaining quotes, negotiating production schedules and deadlines so production meets project deadlines.
ADMINISTRATION AND REPORTING (10%)
• Draft donor project reports.
• Coordinate trip logistics.
• Coordinate with Program Manager and the Director of Institutional Development and Finance on project budgeting and expenses.
• Law degree
• At least three years experience working on human rights issues in Latin America from an international law perspective. Knowledge of transitional justice and/or international crimes and human rights law, and the history of Latin America’s armed conflicts and dictatorships
• Fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English
• Excellent research and writing skills
• Strong ability to handle multiple tasks, organize work, time and set priorities
• High degree of personal initiative to propose and carry out activities
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Demonstrated excellent attention to detail and ability to follow through to complete projects
• Excellent interpersonal skills with people from different backgrounds and positions
• Special sensitivity for working with small civil society groups based in remote areas
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
• Availability for frequent and remote travel
• Demonstrated ability to work productively within a multi-cultural team environment
Salary & Benefits: Competitive salary plus full benefits package
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples (one in English and one in Spanish), and the names of 3 professional references with contact information by April 20, 2017 to the attention of: Laura Park, Director of Institutional Development and Finance, at email@example.com (Subject line: Program Officer for Impunity Application).
Authorization to work in the U.S. required for this position